Project leaders: Susana Fepulea’i, Avau Jr Memea, Iosia Tiatia and Vester Fido
Lead organisation: Samoa AIDS Foundation
Other organisations: Samoa Red Cross Society (NGO); Samoa Family Health Association (NGO); Ministry of Women, Community & Social Development (Govt)
Timeframe: January - December 2009
To increase young people’s knowledge on HIV/AIDS through information
To boost involvement of young people promoting awareness of HIV/AIDS among their peers;
- To increase dissemination of information to young people on HIV/AIDS
- To advocate for behaviour change in young people through promotion of prevention on STIs including HIV;
- To increase knowledge on the abuse of women and the spread of HIV;
- To promote the services of SAF through information, referral and the VCCT Clinic for testing;
The outreach program had two components:
1. An annual evening Youth Rally in Apia with entertainment, information, quizzes and prizes to be won. This “hip” setting provided ample opportunity to reach these often “invisible” youths and with the right information, provide them with appropriate life skills to protect themselves on the streets.
2. A quarterly street outreach where peer educators targeted young people to test their knowledge of STIs including HIV and AIDS as well as the dissemination of information on prevention and available services.