The Youth Empowerment Foundation of Grenada Inc. led by Samuel Antoine, Quasi Andrew and Clifton Nedd developed a project that was aimed at preparing community based youth groups to play an effective role in HIV and AIDS Programme at the local level.
Project coordinator: Samuel Antoine, Quasi Andrew and Clifton Nedd
Lead organisation: The Youth Empowerment Foundation of Grenada Inc.
Other organisations: Youth Councils and Groups; The National AIDS Directorate; the National Youth Council; the Ministry of Youth Development
Build capacity to analyze a situation and determine the core and related
Build capacity to identify effective projects to address problems
Build capacity to develop effective projects including writing the document
Build capacity identify stakeholders and conduct self and stakeholder
Build capacity to manage a projects
Build capacity to monitor and report on a project.
- Build capacity to design and implement HIV-related projects
- Visiting youth groups to review their operating structure and identify capacity constraints (this assisted with workshop planning);
- Developing workshop schedule and confirming facilitators;
- Procuring workshop materials, stationery, equipment and HIV-related Information, Education and Communication / Behavior Change Communication (IEC/BCC) items;
- Conducting 4 whole-day workshops;
- Reporting to Youth Visioning;
- Continuing follow-up and technical assistance to groups as they design and implement projects in their community;
- Providing periodic reports on the longer-term impact of the project to Youth Visioning.
This project has empowered the leadership of some community based youth groups with key skills that they can now utilize to perform the expanded role that has now become their responsibility. For many years youth groups have been contributing to the holistic development of young people. This project enabled them to better perform their role.
A lot more work needs to be done. The Foundation and its partners are committed to the continue activities geared towards the development of the youth of this state – empowering them to fully embrace their role in national development.
Final Report [PDF 176 Kb]
Overview of the different activities and outcomes of the project
UNGASS Country Progress Report (Grenada)[PDF 219 Kb]
Reporting period: January 2006–December 2007
Submission date: January 31, 2008
This is an official submission to the UNAIDS secretariat for the monitoring of progress towards the Declaration of Commitment unanimously adopted in the 2001 UN General Assembly Special Session on HIV and AIDS. This report is presented exactly as submitted by the country, without editing or other alteration. This and other member state submissions will form the basis of the Secretary-General’s report to the General Assembly in June as well as the 2008 Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic which will be launched at the International AIDS Conference in August 2008.