The Avatale Youth Group implemented a project to develop a clean and safe environment for the community and to implement a beautification program. The goal was to have three villages working together in keeping the villages clean.
Project leader: Mellisa Talagi
Lead organisation: Avatale Youth Group
Other organisations: Niue Youth Council; Avatele Village Council; Avatele Community
Timeframe: June - November 2007
- To raise a level of awareness among villages about dumping of rubbish on the beach
- To involve all residents in cleaning up around their houses and in the Community especially the beach area
- Plan, organize and create billboards to create awareness among villages about the dumping of rubbish;
- Plan, organize and hold several village meetings to discuss the issue, look for solutions and review actions and progress;
- Plan, organize and hold a day of working and cleaning involving all the residents in the community with focus in the beach area;
- Plan, organize and hold a poster, speech, poem and singing competition related to the environment protection and the beautification of the village;
- Evaluate the impact of the project by conducting a questionnaire/survey among the people participating in the activities (minimum of 50 people to be surveyed) at the beginning of the project, and repeating it during and at the end of the project to see how their attitudes have changed; analyse and report on the results;
- Undertake publicity and promotional activities to include newspapers, radio and television.